- About the Library
- Collections and Resources
- Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
- Friends of the Rare Book Room
Become a Friend of the Rare Book Room and join an engaged and intimate group, passionate about preserving our collections in support of our mission of preserving and promoting the heritage of medicine and health.
Our 550,000 books, manuscripts, archives, and illustrations form our extraordinary collections. We make our treasures freely available to scholars, researchers, and the general public alike. With their vast reach across medicine, public health, food and cookery, botany, anthropology and myriad other subjects, our collections trace the development of medicine from its ancient roots through today. This legacy offers invaluable and fascinating insights into historical attempts to understand health and illness, as well as illuminating today’s critical issues.
The support of the Friends of the Rare Book Room ensures the vitality of the Library and its collections. Friends help underwrite the Library’s public programs and outreach activities; the acquisition, conservation, and cataloging of remarkable historical materials; and digitization of our key Library treasures. Friends receive access to special lectures, programs, excursions, and receptions, including private viewings of the collections.
Upcoming Friends Events
Upcoming speakers include Anita Guerrini and artist and photographer Rosamond Purcell.
$75 Friend / $50 Student Friend
- Discounted prices for Center for the History of Medicine public events
- Invitations to exclusive catered Friends events and programs (discounted for student Friends)
- Reception following the annual Friends lecture
- Acknowledgment on our website and in our annual report
$200 - Contributor
- All Friends benefits, plus
- An exclusive tote bag, perfect for carrying books or groceries, featuring an image from our historical collections
- $185 tax-deductible
$350 - Sponsor
- All Contributor benefits, plus
- An exclusive coffee mug featuring a New York City landscape
- $325 tax-deductible
$650 - Supporter
- All Sponsor benefits, plus
- An exclusive set of beautiful note cards featuring breathtaking images from books in our collections
- $615 tax-deductible
$1,200 - Malloch Circle Member
- All Supporter benefits, plus
- Invitation to exclusive events, including pre-event opportunities to meet the speaker, tours of private collections and occasional notable exhibitions
- $1,165 tax-deductible
$2,500 - Malloch Circle Patron
- All Malloch Circle Member benefits, plus
- Free entry to all Friends programs and festivals
- Opportunity to have private lunch with our curator and historical reference librarian
- $2,155 tax-deductible
$5,000 - Vesalius Circle Partner
- All Malloch Circle Patron benefits, plus
- The opportunity to adopt a rare book in the collection identified as needing conservation; acknowledgement in a bookplate
- Opportunity to provide up to six guests with a private tour of the rare book room curated to your individual interests
- $4,655 tax-deductible
$10,000 - Vesalius Circle Benefactor
- All Vesalius Circle Partner benefits, plus
- The opportunity to host a cocktail reception for up to fifteen guests at the Academy with special support from our events team
- $8,155 tax-deductible
For more details about Friends programs throughout the year contact email@example.com.
Our Friends ensure the vitality of our library and our collections.