Center for Evaluation and Applied Research (CEAR)
The New York Academy of Medicine advances solutions that promote the health and well-being of people in cities worldwide.
Established in 1847, The New York Academy of Medicine continues to address the health challenges facing New York City and the world’s rapidly growing urban populations. We accomplish this through our Institute for Urban Health, home of interdisciplinary research, evaluation, policy and program initiatives; our world class historical medical library and its public programming in history, the humanities and the arts; and our Fellows program, a network of more than 2,000 experts elected by their peers from across the professions affecting health. Our current priorities are healthy aging, disease prevention, and eliminating health disparities.
The Academy’s Center for Evaluation and Applied Research (CEAR) conducts program evaluations and research to advance the development and implementation of health policies and medical practice. CEAR’s work covers a wide range of health-related topics, focusing primarily on issues relevant to populations that experience disparities that are linked to race, ethnicity, or income. Using both qualitative and quantitative methods, CEAR’s research assists with the identification of need, effective practice, and factors relevant to implementation—with the goal of facilitating the development and sharing of effective solutions to health issues. CEAR collaborates with community-based organizations, health care providers, academic institutions, governmental organizations, and funders.
CEAR works with a broad range of organizations in New York City, New York State, and around the world. With expertise in both qualitative and quantitative research methods, we conduct needs assessment, process evaluation, and outcome evaluation.
Summary and Description
The Center for Evaluation and Applied Research at The New York Academy of Medicine is seeking a full-time Research/Evaluation Associate. The Research/Evaluation Associate will assist with multiple projects focused on research and evaluation of health initiatives. The position requires a well-organized, highly motivated individual, with community-based experience and the willingness and ability to assume a variety of research, evaluation, and administrative tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Data collection, including survey administration in-person and by phone, as well as co-facilitation of interviews and focus groups
- Outreach to and liaison with partner organizations
- Recruitment and screening of participants
- Coding of qualitative data
- Entry and review of survey data
- Participation in the development of proposals, report, and manuscripts
- Study administration and logistics
- Other duties as assigned
NOTE: This position requires travel in diverse communities of NYC and NYS for participant recruitment and data collection (i.e., surveys, focus groups, and interviews). The position also requires some work on weekends and in the evening.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to manage multiple responsibilities
- Must be comfortable traveling to and working in communities throughout NYC and NYS
- Preference given to candidates with demonstrated interest in public health issues affecting diverse and disadvantaged populations
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Master’s degree and one year relevant experience or bachelor’s degree and three years relevant experience
Please forward writing sample, cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include Research/Evaluation Associate in the subject line of the email.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.