Part Time Research Coordinator - 20 hours per week
Center for Cognitive Studies in Medicine and Public Health
The New York Academy of Medicine advances solutions that promote the health and well-being of people in cities worldwide.
Established in 1847, The New York Academy of Medicine continues to address the health challenges facing New York City and the world’s rapidly growing urban populations. We accomplish this through our Institute for Urban Health, home of interdisciplinary research, evaluation, policy and program initiatives; our world class historical medical library and its public programming in history, the humanities and the arts; and our Fellows program, a network of more than 2,000 experts elected by their peers from across the professions affecting health. Our current priorities are healthy aging, disease prevention, and eliminating health disparities.
The Academy’s Center for Cognitive Studies in Medicine and Public Health is a multidisciplinary research center devoted to empirically based studies to understand the decision-making behaviors of healthcare providers and their interactions with patients. These studies use methods of data collection and analysis that are grounded in social, cognitive, and information science. When physicians and patients interact, the nature of those interactions may contribute to errors that influence outcomes, education recommendations, and policies. The role of health information technology is to mitigate these errors, and to develop informed educational and training programs for patient safety, plays an important part in this research.
Summary and Description
Working under the general direction of the Center’s director, Dr. Vimla Patel, the research coordinator will provide overall management of a significant multi-funded and/or multi-site research project(s). Research coordinator will help with relevant literature reviews, and assist in data analysis with Dr. Patel and the researchers from collaborating institutions. She/he will oversee recruitment of human subjects, write and edit reports and manuscripts, develop and monitor reports and coordinate efforts across all collaborating institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates multiple data collection efforts for one or more research projects which include other collaborating agencies or institutions
- Develop and manage interim reports for principal investigator and also for institutional review board to ensure that each project is moving toward timely completion
- Liaison between the project team and funding agencies or significant parties
- Update and edit technical reports and manuscripts for publication or presentation
- Provide administrative support to the Center’s director, Dr. Patel, for day-to-day activities such as scheduling meetings, updating CV, as well as completing and filing expense reports
Candidate should have strong research coordination skills, as well as very good writing skills. An ideal candidate should have interest in cognitive-psychological studies, and have good work ethic, including very good communication skills. Some administrative experience would be beneficial
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study (cognitive psychology, education, computer scienece, information studies)
- At least two years of relevant work experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience, including administrative positions
Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Part Time Research Coordinator in the subject line of the email.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.