Communications Manager, Policy and Research
Marketing & Communications
The New York Academy of Medicine advances solutions that promote the health and well-being of people in cities worldwide.
Established in 1847, The New York Academy of Medicine continues to address the health challenges facing New York City and the world’s rapidly growing urban populations. We accomplish this through our Institute for Urban Health, home of interdisciplinary research, evaluation, policy and program initiatives; our world class historical medical library and its public programming in history, the humanities and the arts; and our Fellows program, a network of more than 2,000 experts elected by their peers from across the professions affecting health. Our current priorities are healthy aging, disease prevention, and eliminating health disparities.
The Communications team is responsible for messaging and branding, media and high-profile items to support both business-unit goals as well as delivering overarching Academy communication objectives. The design team produces publications and reports, unique grant deliverables, event and promotional collateral, email/print appeal campaigns, social media and blog graphics, and website graphics and development.
The Communications Manager for Policy and Research is supervised by the Director of Marketing & Communications, and plays an integral role in strengthening the Academy’s brand as an independent organization that addresses the health challenges facing the world’s urban populations. The Communications Manager for Policy and Research is responsible for developing and implementing strategic communications plans to meet business goals established for these units, as well as support the overarching organization-wide communications efforts.
The ideal candidate will have strong writing, editing, media relations, event marketing, and digital communications expertise. Experience in health care, health policy, or public health fields required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
In support of the Policy and Research units:
- Function as account manager and primary Marketing and Communications liaison to both divisions to ensure understanding of strategic business needs, work in progress, and to propose and deliver communications strategies & tactics to help achieve goals.
- Manage timelines, budgets, and execution of marketing initiatives including strategy, content development when needed, design/production oversight and distribution strategies.
- Manage timelines, budgets, and execution of media relations initiatives including strategy, press releases/materials development, list development, outreach, and ongoing relationship building with media contacts.
- Work collaboratively as needed with division subject matter experts on content development and provide copyediting and proofreading for all marketing materials including, but not limited to, website, collateral, presentations, talking points, testimony, reports, etc.
- Plan and manage high-profile urban health awareness building events.
- Staff events when necessary, and perform related duties as assigned.
- Analyze impact of integrated marketing campaigns by developing and delivering key performance indicators. Provide campaign metric reporting and strategic analysis.
In support of organizational communications and building the Academy brand:
- Manage the Academy blog “Urban Health Matters” including editorial calendar, author outreach, monthly editorial meetings with other Academy blog managers and writing original content on occasion.
- Working in collaboration with Director and external sources, provide support for staff OpEds and Blog posts.
- Work closely with internal, and on occasion external, design and digital team members to ensure consistency of message, brand, and image.
- Contribute and/or lead the Academy’s social media, annual report and monthly newsletters including content solicitation/creation and oversee design and distribution when needed.
- Staff Academy events when necessary, and perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field preferred
- 8+ year’s marketing/communications experience
- Communications project management experience in health care, health policy, or public health fields required
- Track record of producing successful marketing communications strategies and campaigns
- Knowledge and experience in the use of various marketing platforms (i.e., paid advertising, direct and email marketing, social media, web/interactive marketing, multi-media, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with New York and health policy media (health policy, health, government/political, science preferred)
- Ability to think strategically and translate strategies into tactics
- Strong writing and editing skills required
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Excellent project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to consistently prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and deliver high quality outcomes on time
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask and support multiple departments
- Liaise with external agencies as needed
- Media placements and writing samples required
Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Manager” in the subject line and include three relevant examples from your portfolio.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.