- About the Library
- Collections and Resources
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- The Resurrectionists
- The William H. Helfand Collection of Pharmaceutical Trade Cards
- A Telling of Wonders
- Foundations: The Monstrous in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
- Natural Philosophy
- The Prodigy Book: The 16th Century
- The Prodigy Book: The 17th Century
- Collecting Curiosities: The Rise of the Medical Museum
- Popular Culture And Freak Shows
- Case Studies and Learned Societies
- The 18th Century: Monsters as a Battleground for Scientific and Philosophical Debates
- A New Era: The Birth of a Modern Definition of Teratology in the Early 19th Century
- Works Related to Teratology
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Recommended Resources
- Tips & Tutorials
- Digital Collections & Exhibits
- Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health
- Friends of the Rare Book Room
- Altschuller Papers
- Date Span
- 1857-1984, bulk 1922-1980
- Call Number
- Altschuller, Gregory, 1895-1983
- Collection Size
- 1.2 linear feet
- Documents in English, Russian, Czech, German, and French. Collection includes English translations of Russian works.
Dr. Gregory Altschuller (1895-1983) was born in Russia and received his medical degree in Prague. He moved to the United States in 1938, where he was an internist at the Roosevelt Hospital and a fellow of the New York Academy of Medicine. His father, Dr. Isaac Altschuller (1870-1943), was a Russian physician specializing in tuberculosis. While living in the Crimea, he was a personal physician to Anton Chekhov and Leo Tolstoy.
Scope and Content
The collection documents the lives and work of Dr. Gregory Altschuller and his father Dr. Isaac Altschuller. The collection contains articles, reprints, typescripts, novels, and biographical materials. Of particular interest are accounts of Dr. Isaac Altschuller's experiences with Tolstoy and Dr. Gregory Altschuller's memories as a child in the house of Chekhov. Many documents are photocopies.
Administrative InfoCollection processed and described by Rebecca Pou
Requests for permission to quote from or publish any materials should be directed to the reference librarian or curator in writing.
Altschuller Papers. The Drs. Barry and Bobbi Coller Rare Book Reading Room, New York Academy of Medicine Library.
Donated by Gregory Altschuller, date unknown.
Series 1: Isaac Altschuller
|Box 1 Folder 1||Biographical Materials, - undated, 1882-1938.|
|Box 1 Folder 2||Memoirs of Leo Tolstoy, - undated.|
|Box 1 Folder 3||Photo of Isaac Altschuller and Leo Tolstoy and related materials, - undated, 1977-1978.|
Series 2: Gregory Altschuller
|Box 1 Folder 4||Biographical Materials, - 1939-1982.|
|Box 1 Folder 5||Papers, Articles and Reprints, - 1922-1929.|
|Box 1 Folder 6||Papers, Articles and Reprints, - 1930-1939.|
|Box 1 Folder 7||Papers, Articles and Reprints, - 1956, 1967, 1979.|
|Box 1 Folder 8||Papers, Articles and Reprints, - undated.|
|Box 1 Folder 9||Bezdomnye, - 1958.|
|Box 1 Folder 10||The Uprooted, - 1958.|
|Box 1 Folder 11||The Uprooted, - 1958.|
|Box 1 Folder 12||Tzar I doctor related materials,|
|Box 1 Folder 13||Delo Tveritinova related materials,|
|Box 1 Folder 14||Early Arab Science and Scientists, - undated, 1857, 1979-1980.|
|Box 1 Folder 15||Miscellaneous, - undated.|
|Box 1||Tzar I doctor, - 1951.|
|Box 1||Delo Tveritinova, - 1963.|
Find Similar Resources
For related materials consult the Library's Portrait Catalog and Card Catalog.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The New York Academy of Medicine Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.
|Medicine -- Russia -- History||Search ArchiveGrid|
|Tolstoy, Leo, graf, 1828-1910||Search ArchiveGrid|
|Chekhov, A. P. (Anton Pavlovich), 1860-1904||Search ArchiveGrid|
|Altschuller, Isaac Naumovich, 1870-1943||Search ArchiveGrid|