- Policy & Programs
- The Journal of Urban Health
At Home in East Harlem
In every aspect of the Academy’s work, we aim to advance health and wellness in urban communities. We are particularly committed to making a difference in the community we call home, East Harlem. We achieve these objectives through many activities, including:
- As a member of the East Harlem Healthy Neighborhood Initiative we work with the NYC Center for Health Equity and Mount Sinai Hospital to increase the availability of healthy foods, improve the built environment, boost economic opportunities and connect residents with programs that support health-enhancing lifestyles.
- Through our efforts on the East Harlem Neighborhood Plan Steering Committee and our publication, “East Harlem Neighborhood Plan Health Impact Assessment: Connecting Housing Affordability and Health,” we are working to ensure that the community’s health is considered during the rezoning process.
- As part of the East Harlem Community Alliance, NYAM is also leading efforts to help neighborhood businesses have greater resources to serve more community members.
- NYAM brings together the trusted voices of resident caregivers, along with direct service providers, technical advisors, and elected and public officials to form the East Harlem Action Collaborative to identify solutions and put forth recommendations for a better tomorrow for all children. The East Harlem Action Collaborative is grounded in valuing and elevating the essential voices of community caregivers as primary when making decisions to advance the health and well-being of their children.
NYAM’s long-standing commitment to the neighborhood is exemplified by the establishment of the Jo Ivey Boufford East Harlem Initiatives Fund. Contributions to the fund will support:
- Our work with existing community networks and coalitions;
- Our ability to provide evidence for policies and programs that improve the community’s health;
- Our engagement with older adults to promote ways for them to stay involved in the community they love and enjoy a high quality of life;
- Our work with community partners to create healthy food choices, physical activity, and social support within the community.
Here are highlights from our most recent activities for the East Harlem Community: