The New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 Fifth Avenue at 103rd Street, New York, NY 10029
Free, registration optional
The Committee to Empower Voices for Healing and Equity presents Beyond Sims: A Community Conversation.
After decades of community and global activism, the statue of J. Marion Sims was finally removed from Central Park East on April 17th, 2018. Sims was a physician who gained fame in Western medicine for his experiments on African-American female slaves. Join us for a community discussion and artistic expression as we work together to move beyond this painful legacy.
We Want to Hear from You
We invite you to come and share your thoughts about:
1) How did the J. Marion Sims statue make you feel when it was in Harlem?
2) How did you feel when it was removed?
3) Imagine standing in front of the new artwork that will replace the statue. How would you like the art to make you feel?
4) What ideas do you have for what the new artwork could look like?
5) What do you think should be considered when selecting an artist to create the new artwork?
Make your voice heard.
This event is free, and all ages are welcome. Light refreshments will be served. Drop in or RSVP here.
For questions, contact Padmore John at email@example.com or 646-682-3321.