Membership and Events Specialist
Office of Trustee and Fellowship Affairs
The New York Academy of Medicine advances solutions that promote the health and well-being of people in cities worldwide.
Established in 1847, The New York Academy of Medicine continues to address the health challenges facing New York City and the world’s rapidly growing urban populations. We accomplish this through our Institute for Urban Health, home of interdisciplinary research, evaluation, policy and program initiatives; our world class historical medical library and its public programming in history, the humanities and the arts; and our Fellows program, a network of more than 2,000 experts elected by their peers from across the professions affecting health. Our current priorities are healthy aging, disease prevention, and eliminating health disparities.
The Office of Trustee and Fellowship Activities provides support for the activities of the Academy Fellows and Members, a network of 2,000 experts elected by their peers from across the professions affecting health. The Office is responsible for planning and managing a series of 50 events annually as well as implementing multiple fellowship and student grant programs. The Office oversees the planning for the Annual Meeting and discourse and Awards Ceremony. The Office also supports and facilitates the administration of its Board of Trustees and its working committees.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for assisting the Director in the planning and implementing of a series of annual events, administering fellowship and student grant programs and providing services to the Academy’s 2,000 fellows and members. The Membership and Events Specialist also plays a key role in the in the preparation of the Annual Meeting of the Fellows and Discourse and Awards Ceremony and provides general administrative support for all activities related to the smooth operations of the office.
The Specialist’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in planning, marketing and implementation of events (close to 50) including onsite management of evening events.
- Researches and develops relevant promotional lists and other promotional vehicles to optimize registration at events.
- Monitors registration numbers for events and takes the necessary steps to adjust room set up, catering needs, increase promotion
- Responsible for creating and gathering content for event announcements and working closely with Communications Department to include on the Academy’s website and other relevant promotional vehicles
- Initiates and supports efforts to expand the Fellowship/Membership
- Responds to oral and written requests for information from Fellows and Members
- Prepares Fellowship/Membership statistical reports as needed
- Develops correspondence for event participants, speakers. student grant recipients and other constituents
- Works with Conference Center staff to ensure that room set up, AV needs, onsite registration needs for all events are in place.
- Assists Director with the administration of the student grant and fellowship programs
- Coordinates all arrangements for the annual induction ceremony ( part of the Annual Meeting) including providing information to all new fellows and members regarding participation in this event, preparation of certificates, proofing script
- Works with Administrative Assistant as needed
- Other duties may be assigned
- At least 3 years of related experience in either an academic healthcare institution or not-for-profit organization.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively interact with staff, membership and other outside constituents.
- Demonstrated outstanding organizational skills, detail oriented attention and the ability to multi-task while meeting overlapping deadlines.
- Meeting and event planning experience a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work night (and occasion weekends) as necessary.
- Experience with social media preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (WORD, Excel and Power Point) along with the ability to learn Salesforce and Luminate.
Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) required.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include "Membership & Events Specialist" in the subject line.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.